GSL is hiring an Assistant Director for the Institute of Population and Public Health at the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
Reporting to the Scientific Director, Steven Hoffman, the purpose of this position is to develop and implement strategic initiatives that support population and public health research in Canada, and to lead the establishment and maintenance of effective partnerships with stakeholders in Canada and globally. Official job description is attached in English and French.
- Graduate degree (preferably JD, MD or PhD) in a field related to population and public health.
- Extensive knowledge of population and public health research, policy and practice issues in Canadian and global context.
- Experience in research or policy environments in a leadership role.
- Extensive experience in negotiating and nurturing relationships with a diverse array of external partners.
- Substantial knowledge of the academic environment and the research management principles, practices and policies.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with researchers, administrators, trainees, staff from other institutes and partners.
- Knowledge of strategic and operational planning concepts and experience in the development of business plans, operational plans, and other planning documents and of evaluation principles and methodologies.
- Advanced skills in using computer software including Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant software.
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, judgment and leadership.
- Excellent project and time management, attention to details, problem-solving, risk assessment, public issues management, and conflict resolution skills.
- A high level of proficiency in English oral and written communication is a requirement. French language proficiency is an asset.
- Directs, leads, or advises on several major Institute initiatives, including the negotiation of research and policy priorities, partnerships, knowledge translation, evaluation, ethics, and communications activities in line with the institute’s strategic plan and CIHR’s Roadmap priorities.
- Strategically advises and provides solutions to the Scientific Director on institute human resources, financial and partnership matters to ensure the smooth functioning of the institute.
- Supervises several professional and administrative staff and consultants responsible for delivering on institute-related activities.
- Oversees strategic and operational planning activities (including the development of the institute’s annual budget) and oversees analytical and evaluation projects in collaboration with other institute and CIHR staff and consultants.
- Oversees, leads, and promotes effective relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders in Canada and internationally in line with the Institute’s strategic plan and initiatives, and with the aim of advancing IPPH’s national and international position as a cutting-edge leader in the field of population and public health.
- Formally represents the Institute at scientific meetings and on internal and external committees involving researchers, partners and other stakeholders, on behalf of the Scientific Director or at the request of senior officials and stakeholders.
- Considerable travel in Canada and some international travel.
- Requirement to work outside of regular work days/hours.
- Requirement to adapt to rapidly changing work environment and shifting priorities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your curriculum vitae and a cover letter summarizing relevant education, experience and language skills by September 7, 2016 to: Annie Jones at email@example.com.
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is the Government of Canada’s health research investment agency.CIHR’s mission is to create new scientific knowledge and to enable its translation into improved health, more effective health services and products, and a strengthened health care system for Canadians. Composed of 13 Institutes, CIHR provides leadership and support to more than 13,000 health researchers and trainees across Canada.
IPPHThe CIHR Institute of Population and Public Health aims to improve the health of populations and promote health equity in Canada and globally through research and its application to policies, programs, and practice in public health and other sectors.