The Global Strategy Lab is hiring a Data Analyst/Research Fellow to support our global legal epidemiology research program. The Global Strategy Lab advises the world’s governments and public health organizations onhow to design laws, policies and institutions thataddress transnational health threats and make the world a healthier place for everyone. Past studies have focused on access to medicines, antimicrobial resistance, health news misinformation, pandemics and tobacco control. This position represents an opportunity to conduct quantitative and mixed-methods research in social science and public health, to work across national borders as part of a globally integrated research team and make tangible contributions to ongoing policy processes on pressing health issues. This position also provides opportunities for professional development, including opportunities to learn new quantitative research methods and to attend and present at academic conferences. Candidates must have a graduate degree in a related discipline or be nearing completion of their degree by the position start date.
As a staff member, the selected individual will help execute various quantitative research projects in collaboration with GSL’s Directors and Research Associates. The Data Analyst/Research Fellow will assist with secondary data collection and analysis, conducting systematic reviews, preparing grant applications and REB submissions, and with manuscript writing across a range of new and existing projects.
- Graduate degree in a related field (e.g., epidemiology, health research methods, quantitative political science, health economics)
- Ability to understand, interpret, and conduct quantitative health research
- Experience with social sciences research preferably related to public health issues
- Strong ability to work independently and in teams
- Attentiveness to detail
- Willingness to take initiative and to learn new things
- Interest in social science research on global health, governance and institutional design
- Experience using statistical software package (e.g. Stata, SAS, R, SPSS)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (BUT NOT REQUIREMENTS)
- Experience working on interdisciplinary mixed methods research projects
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to write for multiple audiences
- Experience working with, and mentoring, undergraduate research assistants
- Knowledge of basic health concepts and willingness to learn scientific terminology as it arises
RESEARCH FELLOW RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a full range of research support to the GSL team with focus on quantitative research
- Coordinate the collection, delivery, entry, verification, analysis and reporting of data
- Ensure that relevant research methodology is applied, and all research material is handled in accordance with established protocols, policies and procedures
- Support the design of new studies and the analysis of results
- Conduct literature searches and environmental scans
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts for publication, abstracts and grant applications
- Prepare submissions and updates to research ethics boards
- Support integrated and end-of-grant knowledge translation activities
COMPENSATION AND TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
The Data Analyst/Research Fellow will be based at York University. Annual salary will depend on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. The successful candidate is expected to work approximately 40 hours per week.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a brief cover letter, CV and writing sample to Brooke Campus, GSL Research Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please quote Job #545168 in the email subject line. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews, which will take place in person or via video conference the week of April 22nd.
Thank you in advance for your interest.