JOB TITLE Research Assistant
SUPERVISOR Steven J. Hoffman, Associate Professor of Law and Director of the Global Strategy Lab
DEPARTMENT Global Strategy Lab, Faculty of Health, York University (www.globalstrategylab.org)
MAIN CONTACT Brooke Campus, GSL Research Coordinator (email@example.com)
APPLICATION DEADLINE April 20th, 2018
The Global Strategy Lab is offering a 4-month research assistantship that starts in May 2018 to support a range of analytical, empirical, and big data studies evaluating global strategies for addressing transnational health threats, social inequalities and human rights challenges. This position represents a paid opportunity to pursue an interest in global health, develop skills needed for rigorous social sciences research on health law/policy issues, interact with global decision-makers, and make tangible contributions to ongoing policy processes on pressing health issues. The RA will be working under the direction of both GSL’s Director, Steven J. Hoffman, a Professor of Law and Health at York University, and GSL’s Associate Director, Patrick Fafard, an Associate Professor at the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa.
- A degree in a related field to global health governance (biostatistics, economics, epidemiology, health sciences, law, political science, research methodology, sociology)
- Strong ability to work independently and in teams
- Attentiveness to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to take initiative and to learn new things
- Interest in social science research on global health, governance and institutional design
Preferred Qualifications (But Not Requirements)
- Experience with social sciences research/courses, preferably related to health issues
- Knowledge of basic health concepts (e.g., one undergraduate course in health sciences) and willingness to learn scientific terminology as it arises
- Knowledge of basic statistics (e.g., one undergraduate course in statistics or biostatistics) and experience with a statistical software program (e.g., R, SAS, Stata)
- Programming (e.g., Python) and graphic design skills (e.g., Adobe Illustrator)
- Ability to read and write in a second language at a very high level would be considered an asset
The RA position represents a full-time or part-time opportunity with a salary of $18/hr. There is one position available. Employment would begin in May and continue until the end of August 2018 with a possibility of extension (depending on existing funds). We thank you in advance for your interest.
How to Apply
Please send a brief cover letter, CV, unofficial transcripts, list of two references and writing sample to Brooke Campus, GSL Research Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews, which will take place in Toronto or via Skype the week of April 23rd, 2018.
Thank you in advance for your interest.