JOB TITLE Research Fellow
SUPERVISOR Patrick Fafard, Associate Director of the Global Strategy Lab; Steven Hoffman, Director of the Global Strategy Lab;
DEPARTMENT Global Strategy Lab (www.globalstrategylab.org)
MAIN CONTACT Brooke Campus (email@example.com)
APPLICATION DEADLINE June 22, 2018
The Global Strategy Lab is offering a Research Fellow position to engage a doctoral-level social scientist in our research program. The Global Strategy Lab focuses on designing global strategies that address transnational health threats and social inequalities. Past studies have focused on access to medicines, antimicrobial resistance, health news misinformation, pandemics and tobacco. This position represents an opportunity to conduct research in social science and public health, to work across national borders as part of a globally integrated research team, interact with decision-makers, and make tangible contributions to ongoing policy processes on pressing health issues. This position also provides opportunities for professional development, including meetings with leading thinkers in public health and attending and presenting at conferences related to public health. Candidates will have a PhD in a related discipline, or be nearing completion of their PhD by the position start date.
As a staff member, the selected Research Fellow will help design and execute various research projects in collaboration with GSL’s Director and Associate Director. The Research Fellow will lead the preparation of grant applications, REB submissions, data collection, analysis and manuscript writing across a range of new and existing projects.
- PhD or nearly completed PhD in a related field (e.g., political science, international relations, public administration, public policy, law)
- Strong ability to work independently and in teams
- Attentiveness to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to take initiative and to learn new things
- Interest in social science research on global health, governance and institutional design
Preferred Qualifications (But Not Requirements)
- Experience working on interdisciplinary mixed methods research projects
- Experience working with, and mentoring, undergraduate research assistants
- Experience preparing SSHRC and CIHR funding applications
- Ability to read and write in a second language at a very high level would be considered an asset
research Fellow Responsibilities
- Provide the full range of research support to the GSL team
- Support the design of new studies and the analysis of results
- Lead the preparation of manuscripts for publication, abstracts and grant applications
- Prepare submissions and updates to research ethics boards
- Support integrated and end-of-grant knowledge translation activities
Compensation and Term of Employment
The Research Fellow will be based at either York University (Toronto) or the University of Ottawa (Ottawa). Annual salary will depend on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. The successful candidate is expected to work approximately 40 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please send a brief cover letter, CV and writing sample to Brooke Campus, GSL Research Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews, which will take place in person or via video conference the week of July 9th.
Thank you in advance for your interest.